Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Chiffchaff variation

Chiffchaff Waters Edge -- while in Orkney this bird was producing some odd song phrases that sounded a bit Iberian like but it was mainly Chiffy if a bit variable in pitch and tone -- recorded it today with an example below and took a few images -- I also played back Iberian Chiffchaff song to it and was amazed by the immediate reaction -- it stopped singing and flew to within 2m of me calling and flicking it wings and tail on no less than three separated occasions --Never managed to get anything of it low down unfortunately








1 comment:

Mike Langman said...

Odd song Graham, and strange it responded to Iberian Chiffchaff I didn't think the song was particularly even Iberian like! it doesn't show any yellow tones around face or chest, stong supercilium, lemon undertail coverts or greeny olive upperparts expected in those Iberian accepted in UK. I've also noted many show a distinct hook to the tip of the upper mandible. I've seen 3 in Devon found the first id'd the second and helped with the 3rd!
Have a look at this interesting bird I had to let go a couple of years ago at Berry Head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK2E34fnp1c sadly never called and did sing Common Chiffchaff song regularly. it did show many good features and that brighter green rump I've seen in Iberian.