Friday, February 14, 2014

lincs Two-barred Crossbill

texts flooded in while we were in Ontario with news of the first ever twitchable Two-barred Crossbill in Lincs, there have only been two previous birds one shot in 1889 and a brief sighting in July 2013 so a bird only 14 miles from my home was a bit galling particularly as I had been checking the same trees earlier in January and found no crossbills; after a brief sighting on Tuesday I had much better views this morning and gained a few distant record shots of the bird feeding high in the Larch trees in appalling light; after about 15 minutes it flew off with Common Crossbills and was not seen again by the time I left at 11:00 -- takes my Lincs list to 352 species 90.5% of the Lincs county list that stands at 389 species











No comments: