Thursday, October 08, 2009

photographing Jack Snipe






first you need to find one and without standing on it as flat birds don't make for good photos; first photo 500mm lens from the first location where I picked up this bird --it was across a wide stretch of open water but I knew that getting round the back and crossing a presumably dry ditch would put me in a good position if the bird stayed put (as they often don't) -- well the ditch still had 2 feet of water in it so the alternative slog through brambles and 30m of 3m high reed was sure to flush the snipe but amazingly it did not -- thereafter it was just a case of crawling on the mud commando style to get within decent range with the 500 and 2x -- after about an hour with cramp setting in I even managed to change positions and get a slightly different perspective which I changed again by taking off the converter and setting the bird into its landscape -- after a frustrating day this was a really nice end

No comments: